Bill P. Godfrey et al

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

"Fashion! turn to the left...

...Fashion! turn to the right. Oooh, fashion! We are the goon squad and we’re coming to town. Beep-beep! Beep-beep!" Fashion, © David Bowie

lady trouserAs an animator and artist, I often find myself watching people [ I noticed something interesting about the eye the other day...] and one of the things that often occur to me is women and trousers. Mostly when I notice women and trousers, it's from behind rushing up the stairs changing trains and so on. Now, I do understand that men and women are differently shaped - hips and everything. But how come every pair of women's trousers look like the image on the left?
Notice the "snug bum shape fitting". Without fail, you look at any lady wearing trousers and they snuggly fit around their bottom drawing attention to the curves and grooves. You couldn't get much additional information about their bottom shape if they were naked.

So what's wrong with that?

Well, take men's trousers. From the back they look like the image on the right. Where did the bum go? instead of something snug and shapely we have a baggy bottom area. Of course, from the front men's trousers draw attention to the placement and shape of the penis. [Although this is related to the type of material with denim and other thicker materials commonly being more concealing]

So, why is this? Do all designers like revealing ladies bottoms to the general public? Do the curvy-snug-bum trousers feel more comfortable than the baggy bottomed men's trousers?

Of course, some things are worse offenders... do I need to mention "sweat pants" ?

We know that men have bottoms - 100,000 builders' "bums" hold testament to that fact. [see bum cleavage... no ... on second thoughts, don't] so why aren't men's trousers bum hugging too ? Does the bum-hugging perform some "secondary function" that is completely alien to the world of men?

Why am I pondering about this? Well... It's something I've become aware of over the last 5 years or so. Are we going back to Victorian times with our fashion? Will later trouser designs have "bum extensions" or "bum supports" - maybe special "trouser hoops"?

Does anyone have any answers?


Post a Comment

<< Home